siunitx version two: Snapshot 1 (SVN 22)

As promised a while ago, I’ve been working to get a snapshot of my work on siunitx version 2 ready. I’ve now got something that works “as far as it goes”, so I’m making a first snapshot available. This is version control (SVN) repository revision 22, which you can see on BerliOS. As this is a very earlier version of what I’m looking at, I’m just posting three files here:

Currently, only the \num macro works at all, and even then only for single numbers. However, there are several points to note for testers and interested users:

  1. The package understands complex numbers.
  2. The options use pgfkeys, although this may change.
  3. Input and output of numbers are much more clearly separated, which makes extension much easier.
  4. A number of subtle bugs in version one are fixed here. (No-one else seems to have noticed them, so for the moment I’ve not fixed them in the release version!)
  5. Currently, only the new options are implemented, although before release the full set of version one options will be implemented.

Although the snapshot is not functional enough for general use, I’d appreciate any feedback people can give. There are probably some bugs in the number code, which obviously I’d like to hear about. The new option arrangement is something I’d like to get opinions on. I feel it is much more logical (and easier to extend as new ideas arrive), but I’m obviously keen to see how others see it.

7 thoughts on “siunitx version two: Snapshot 1 (SVN 22)

  1. Looks interesting. In the manual, on bottom of page 3,

    num{-e10} gives $- times 10^{10}$

    Shouldn’t that be $-1 times 10^{10}$?

  2. Hmm, well the times is clearly wrong. On the other issue, num{e10} gives $10^{10}$, which is logical, and I think mathematically num{-e10} giving $-10^{10}$ is also okay. I need to think about that one. (Note that version 1 acts as I’ve described: no “1 times” is added.)

  3. Hi Joseph,
    in the docu I found a few things:
    – the SI command only gives the num output, because you wrote, that until now just the num is working, right?
    – on page 9 there is a wrong ref giving ??
    – when you use a comma in output, a thin space is added after it

    Best regards,

  4. Hello Stefan,

    Taking your questions in order:

    – Yes, the only user macro that works is currently num. I hope to have a second snap shot toward the end of this month which does the basics for SI, although it will take a little longer to get everything together!

    – This is deliberate: I’ve not written what it is going to point at, but I know I need to!

    – Yes, I’d noticed that: I need to think about it (should happen before snap shot 2).



  5. On the comma issue, this points up an odd “feature” of pgfkeys. It removes one more set of braces than it should. I’ll work on that at some point (I’m not sure how I’m going to do the keyval support for release at the moment).

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.