Hosting upgrade

As I mentioned a little while ago, I’ve moved the hosting for my blog and added https access as-standard. Doing that, I of course had to take a stab at how big a hosting package to buy. I get a steady set of hits, according to WordPress’s JetPack plugin about 5000/month. So I went for a hosting package that would easily cover that.

However, it seems that somewhere there are some more visitors! I got a mail from SiteGround saying that the site’s been using too much CPU time based on what I’ve paid for. Looking over the stats, this is not anything about my setup but is one way or another ‘real’ hits. I can’t be sure if they are real people or spam-like bots, of course, but there’s only one solution: upgrade my hosting account. Hopefully this is all transparent to readers: should mean things continue to work smoothly.

Checking over the beamer codebase

Anyone who is watching the beamer GitHub repository will notice quite a lot of checkins, starting from the beginning beamer.cls and working forward. Most of these are ‘internal’ changes, so readers might wonder what is going on.

I’ve been involved with beamer for a while, but have not really taken a good look over the code yet. Several of the entries in the issue list are quite subtle, and it’s clear that a proper tidy-up of the code is needed to sort them out. That means addressing several internal inconsistencies, but it’s also helpful for me to get the code into a form I’m used to. So there are a mix of cosmetic changes in with some real improvements in the code.

Hopefully I’ll not introduce and new issues doing this work. However, it’s not easy to avoid changing behaviour in LaTeX, especially as beamer is somewhat delicate in the first place. So if anyway is keen to help with the work, simply grabbing the development code from time to time and making sure it doesn’t break existing presentations would be very helpful!