Reworking and exposing siunitx internals

I’ve been talking for a while about working on a new major version of siunitx. I’ve got plans to add some new features which are difficult or impossible to deliver using the v2 set up, but here I want to look at perhaps what’s more important: the back end, programming set up and related matters.

I’ve now made a start on the new code, working first on what I always think of as the core of siunitx: the unit processor. If you take a look at the new material and compare it with the existing release the first thing that should be obvious is that I’ve finally made a start on splitting everything up into different sub-parts. There are at least a couple of reasons for this. First, the monolithic .dtx for v2 is simply too big to work with comfortably. More importantly, though, the package contains a lot of different ideas and some of them are quite useful beyond my own work. To ensure that these are available to other people, it would seem best to make the boundaries clear, and separate sources helps with that.

That leads onto the bigger picture change that I’m aiming for. As regular readers will know, I wrote the first version of siunitx somewhat by accident and in an ad hoc fashion. Working on v2, I decided to make things more organised and also to use expl3, which I’d not really looked at before. So the process of writing the second version was something of a learning experience. At the same time, expl3 itself has firmed up a lot over the time I’ve been working with it. As such, the current release of siunitx has rather a lot of rough edges. In the new code, I’m working from a much firmer foundation in terms of conventions, coding ideas and testing implementations. So for v3 I’m aiming to do several things. A key one for prospective expl3 programmers is the idea of defined interfaces. Rather than making everything internal, this time I’m documenting code-level access to the system. That means doing some work to have clearly defined paths for information to pass between sub-modules, but that’s overall a good thing. I’m also using the LaTeX3 teams new testing suite, l3build, to start setting up proper code tests: these are already proving handy.

The net result of the work should be a better package for end users but also extremely solid code that can be used by other people. I’m also hopeful that the ideas will be usable with little change in a ‘pure’ LaTeX3 context. Documenting how things work might even have a knock-on effect in emulating siunitx in say MathJax. Beyond that, I’ve viewed siunitx as something of a sales pitch for expl3, and providing a really top-class piece of code is an important part of that. If I can get the code level documentation and interfaces up to the standard of the user level ones, and improve the user experience at the same time, I think I’ll be doing my job there.

River Valley videos on the move

Many readers will be familiar with River Valley, a typesetting company with a long-standing interested in TeX and related technologies. One of the things they do is great work videoing meetings in the area of publishing, technology, XML and all kinds of related things. I had an e-mail a couple of days ago from Kaveh Bazargan, the head of River Valley, to let me know that videos are ‘on the move’ to a new site: http://river-valley.zeeba.tv/: I’ll be altering my links in the blog.